A particularly windy 24 hours over northern Europe kicked Denmark’s wind turbines into high gear, enabling the country to not only generate all the electricity it needed, but also to share with Germany, Norway and Sweden. A report in the Guardian details that by the evening of July 9, wind turbines were producing 116 percent of the nation’s energy needs, and that by 3am on July 10, when demands were lower, that figure jumped to 140 percent.

Denmark has been making significant investments in wind power—in 2014 the nation’s turbines produced 39.1 percent of electricity demand, and with new projects on the horizon, it is expected Denmark will reach their target of producing 50 percent of power from renewable sources well ahead of their 2020 goal. Indeed, further 1.5GW in offshore wind farms will be added by the end of the decade.

Moreover, this week’s record production didn’t even see Denmark’s turbines working at maximum capacity. Live data published on the website of Danish transmission systems operator, energinet.dk showed that while producing 140 percent of electricity needs, there was still room for even more wind power generation in their turbines collective 4.8GW capacity.

wind2

 

Of the surplus power generated during the peak, 80 percent was sent Germany and Norway to be stored in hydropower systems, while the remaining 20 percent went to Sweden. Speaking to the Guardian, Oliver Joy, a spokesman for the European Wind Energy Association said: “It shows that a world powered 100% by renewable energy is no fantasy. Wind energy and renewables can be a solution to decarbonisation – and also security of supply at times of high demand.”

Via The Guardian

Source: http://inhabitat.com/

Related Articles:

The really big one Though this event might not affect Central America , other tectonic plates,within the ring of fire, will. Like the Cocos plate and Nazca plates. The latter cuts through Nicaragua a...

1 millon de aves y 100 mil animales marinos mueren cada año por la ingestión de bolsas plasticas La triste historia de las bolsas plásticas, las prácticas e inofensivas bolsas que nos “regalan” y acumulamos por los rincones de nuestras cocinas se han convertido en un real prob...

Studies Find Body Pain Correlated with Spiritual & Emotional Pain By Simple Organic Life| Life gets tough sometimes. You start to feel like you’re on an emotional rollercoaster after a bit. But did you know that those emotions can cause a decline...